By Tenille L. Lawson, PharmD, BCPS
If you or someone you love tests positive for COVID-19, your healthcare provider may advise you to stay home to monitor your symptoms and instruct you on ways to protect others around you from the spread of the disease.
Currently, there is no cure or vaccine for the coronavirus. The Mayo Clinic offers guidance on treating mild symptoms of COVID-19 at home and suggests taking these steps for relief:
- Get plenty of rest.
- Stay hydrated by drinking lots of fluids.
- Take over-the-counter medications such as cough syrup or acetaminophen.
Keep your medical provider’s number handy. If you notice a worsening cough, shortness of breath, or high temperature call your healthcare provider immediately. You may be directed to go to the hospital.
When you are well, make taking care of yourself a priority. Some of the recommendations are:
- Eat healthy and stay active.
- Manage stress by doing relaxation exercises, meditation, or deep breathing.
- Connect with loved ones via phone or video chat.
- Watch a funny movie or go outside for a walk.
Now is the time to be prepared. Keep a log of your symptoms. Communicate with your healthcare provider. Follow directions and remain calm. Find additional information at mayoclinic.org or cdc.gov.